Recipes

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Grocery List!

Thanks to the many who commented (on Facebook) on my blog! I sometimes think I'm just writing this for myself and two or three people. I'm thankful for the feedback! So, if you're ready to make the change - it's time to go shopping. I've typed up a typical list of what I keep on hand. Keep in mind, I have a 4 and 5 1/2 year old, so you may or may not want to keep Goldfish on hand!
Pantry List:
Skippy or Jiff Natural Peanut Butter
Whole Grain Pasta, like Barilla
tuna fish in water
Rice Select Arborio & Texmati Brown Rice
Annie's Mac & Cheese, All Stars & O's (like Spaghettios)
Muir Glen Organic Canned Tomatoes
Cans of Lite Coconut Milk (to make Thai soup!)
Raw, unsalted Almonds, Cashews, pistachios
Organic Chicken Broth in boxes
Multi Grain Cheerios, Grape Nuts
McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal
Quinoa, Barley
Organic Basmati
Synder's Organic Pretzels
Organic Tortilla Chips (regular chips are made with nasty oils, these taste much better!)
Pirate Booty
Food Should Taste Good chips
Organic Breadcrumbs (or make your own by toasting stale bread that you run through a food processor, spritz with EVOO, some herbs and S&P)
Raw Apple Cider vinegar
Organic Raisins
Flat Out Flatbread
Whole Grain Bread, Ezekiel 4:9 bread
Bags of lentils, black beans, pinto beans, no cans, too much salt
Organic bouillon, chicken base (regular stuff has hydrolyzed proteins = yuck)
Raw honey
Balsamic vinegar
Zoe Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from Amazon)
Whole wheat flour and Spelt Flour

Fridge:
Organic milk
Organic juices, Honest Kids juice boxes
Real butter
Greek Yogurt, plain
Organic celery, carrots, blueberries, grapes, spinach, lettuce, kale, bell peppers, apples, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower
Organic applesauce
Onions, shallots, ginger, garlic
Low Sugar jelly, Not sugar free which has artificial sweeteners
Hellman's Lite mayo, lots of mustards
Cage free eggs, bigger, less cholesterol and more yummy nutrients
Nitrate free lunchmeats, bacon, sausage
Whole blocks of cheese for grating or slicing
real maple syrup

Freezer:
sustainable seafood, like shrimp, tilapia and Wild Alaskan Salmon (google sustainable seafood - there's so much wrong with the fishing industry - overfarming, pollution, farm-raised garbage)
Whole Organic chicken
Pork tenderloin
some frozen peas
frozen fruits for smoothies
organic sausage, nitrate free

I shop at Super Target, Wegman's, Safeway and sometimes Harris Teeter. I also buy some things from Amazon like Celtic Sea Salt and the EVOO. I get my supplements from Vitacost.com (Vitamin D3, Coenzyme B-complex, digestive enzymes).
Right now, in the winter, it's hard to get certain veggies without paying through the nose for them, so I'm trying to buy seasonally. I ate a lot of butternut squash this winter. I also froze green beans that I bought last summer at the Farmer's Market.
I don't have a lot of grass-fed beef or pork yet. That's a hurdle I have to climb in two ways, it's much more expensive and I can't seem to like the taste of grass-fed beef. Grass-fed Pork and Chicken does taste better though. I just joined an Amish farm and I'm loving the grass-fed chicken and eggs!!
A good book to check out from the library is Nourishing Traditions or buy it from Amazon. It will really open your eyes up about the way we approach food these days. Lots of real food recipes. I've made a ton of turkey, chicken and beef stock lately using their recipes. A little trick is to add a splash or so of vinegar to really bring out the marrow and make your stocks super gelatinous - good for the body!

You may buy some of these ingredients and wonder, "what the heck do I make with this?!!" I starting subscribing to numerous healthy food blogs, "liking" Facebook pages of Organic cooks, getting Cooking Light magazine, Food Network mag and Natural Health magazine. I read whenever I can - stoplights, waiting for water to boil, and sometimes I'm up till midnight reading!
Ok - I think that's it - I'm going off memory of what's in the kitchen, so hopefully I remembered it all. Feel free to ask questions!
Eat Local! Eat Real! Get Healthy!
P.S. I make no claim that this list is perfect. Some whole foodies would scoff at my Skippy Natural Peanut Butter and Hellman's mayo, but let's face it - unless you have nothing going on in your life, it's hard to make everything from scratch. We strive to do the best we can, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment