Recipes

Friday, August 26, 2011

Saving on Organics

Invariably if you tell someone you eat clean, Organic food, the first thing they ask is, "Isn't it more expensive?" And yes, some items can be more expensive, but I'm investing in my future health. I'm also not buying boxed food, bottled dressings, frozen meals, fast food, and canned food. From April to early-November, I'm buying almost all of my produce from the local Farmer's Market. I also grow my own tomatoes, herbs, lettuce, green beans, and peppers. I get my meat from a local farm that I belong to and the rest, like specialty items, from the grocery store.
To find a Farmer's Market near you, visit http://www.localharvest.org/. For fun at picking your own berries, veggies and more, visit http://www.pickyourown.org/.

To save on items at the grocery store, become a member of Facebook (if not already a member). Then, "like" the companies of products you use. They often have coupons, discounts and even freebies to giveaway. Several Organic manufacturers are on Facebook, like Horizon, Stonyfield, Boulder Canyon chips, Tribe Hummus, Annie's Organics, etc...If you prefer to not be on Facebook, you can go directly to the company's website and join their newsletter to receive coupons.

Additionally, if you have the time to "hunt" for coupons on the web, there are dozens of websites like Coupon Mom, Coupons.com, and hundreds of blogs devoted to the art of couponing. I actually took a class from a local "coupon expert" and learned some savvy ways to stretch a dollar at the grocery store. Unfortunately, I don't buy much at the grocery store anymore, so most of my coupons go unused. But I really don't need them because I can take $20 to the Farmer's Market and come home with all the veggies I need for the week and then some. I spend about $50-60 a week on my grass-fed beef, pork and chicken. Then another $100 every 2 weeks at Wegman's, my favorite grocery store. They have a great Organic selection!

So that's it. It's really not as much as I was spending before and I'm getting nutrient-dense, vitamin-rich, local Organic food. I subscribe to the SOLE method of eating: Sustainable, Organic, Local and Ethical. I love supporting local farmers over the big box retailers.
I'm just a few days away from my one-year anniversary of clean eating! How should I celebrate? I'm looking forward to my before and after pictures and measurements. I'm proud of how far I've come and look forward to where this will take me!
Until August 30...

No comments:

Post a Comment