Recipes

Friday, October 8, 2010

Immune-Boosting Foods

For the last seven days, I have been sick with the worst cold/flu-like illness. My daughter came from school with a runny nose and then woke up the next morning with a sore throat. It started that way with me too, however, two days later, she is fine and I am down for the count. Why is it we always get their tiny little colds in ten-fold fashion??
So, I decided to comb the Internet looking for immunity-boosting foods. I found a good bit of info and thought I would share it with you. I plan on eating a full diet of these items, hosing off my kids before they walk into my house and putting antibacterial lotion in every room of my home!

The Power Foods:
  • Vitamin C - Duh! In their pure forms (no OJ), citrus fruits, green peppers, strawberries & pineapple
  • Vitamin E - Seeds, vegetable oils, grains
  • Omega-3 Fats - fatty fish, flax seeds, omega-3 eggs, nuts, seeds
  • Beta-Carotene - Sweet potatoes, carrots, all greens, spinach, cilantro, fresh thyme
  • Capsaicin - (the fire in chili peppers) - add some spice to your dishes
  • Garlic
  • Zinc - Oysters, lean beef, pork, turkey, lamb, lentils, garbanzo beans, yogurt
  • Tomatoes - the lycopene in them acts as an antioxident, try tomato soup, fresh sauces
  • Chamomile Tea - apparently there's something in there that boosts immunity
  • Oats - has the fiber to fill you up, McCann's Steel-Cut Oats has double the power
  • Whey Protein - That clear liquid that forms on the top of your yogurt is pure whey protein, so don't drain it off, stir it back into the yogurt. Or buy some Whey Protein Powder Isolate and mix in your favorite smoothie.
That's it. Not bad, nothing too weird. Crossing my fingers that this works!
In health,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment