Recipes

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Why do I care? Here's why!

A lot of family and friends have asked me, "Why are you doing this?" Doing what? I ask. Why am I blogging about the state of our food, why you should care about what you eat, or where it comes from? Well, mostly it's because I'm mad. I'm mad at what I have learned over the last two years. I thought I was feeding myself and my family a healthy diet and that we were doing all the right things we could to raise our children to be as healthy as they could be. Turns out, I was way off track and most of America is too. But, it's not your fault. (Well if you're feeding your kids McDonald's for dinner every night, then it is your fault!)
Why am I enrolled in Nutrition school and eager to help others overcome health concerns, weight problems, stress, anxiety, low energy and disease? Because I have found a way to fix all of that without drugs and without spending thousands of dollars on liposuction! Over the last year, I have lowered my high cholesterol, figured out that dairy foods were causing my allergies and post-nasal drip, lost 45 pounds, got rid of my daily headaches and migraines, turned around my low energy days and got myself off prescription medicines. I have abundant energy, sexy new clothes, increased libido, higher self-esteem, glowing skin, and feel just plain amazing! Crazy what whole foods can do for you!
I had lunch with my two girls at their school today. I know I shouldn't have been shocked, but I still was. The school lunch was abominable and the strawberry and chocolate milk was flowing. Worst off were those with packed lunches. I saw a plethora of Uncrustables (pj & j with high fructose corn syrup and transfats!), packages of Doritos (containing MSG), numerous juice boxes (again with HFCS), potato chips, cookies, Lunchables, Oreos, Cheetos, Cheezits and the like. Here's some shots:

School lunch: hot dog, beans, candied apples w/ whipped cream, strawberry milk (29 grams of sugar)
Cheetos, Goldfish, Capri Sun and a cookie
Uncrustable, fake cheese and crackers,  fruit snacks and a cookie
 
  Do you think the parents know that 90% of processed food is genetically modified? If you aren't aware of what a GMO is, please visit this link: http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/. GMOs, or "genetically modified organisms," are plants or animals created through the gene splicing techniques of biotechnology.  Virtually all commercial GMOs are engineered to withstand direct application of herbicide and/or to produce an insecticide. WHAT?!

GMO crops in commercial production now:
  • Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
  • Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
  • Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
  • Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
  • Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
  • Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
  • Sugar Beets (sugar) (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
  • Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)
  • ALSO high-risk: animal products (milk, meat, eggs, honey, etc.) because of contamination in feed. GMO sweet corn is genetically engineered to be herbicide resistant (Roundup Ready) and to produce its own insecticide (Bt Toxin). Like all GMOs, genetically modified sweet corn has not been thoroughly tested to ensure that it is safe for consumption.
    Those facts alone make me mad and ignite the activist in me. GMO products are NOT labeled and we don't know what we are consuming or feeding our children.

    I saw a theme at their lunch today - convenience. If a parent isn't even going to take the time to prepare a 1 minute PB & J from scratch, I feel my career may be over before I even begin. I can think of about 50 healthy convenience items I could toss in my child's lunch box and it won't take more than a minute!
    Lunch Box Ideas:
    Apple, banana, grapes, berries, orange slices, cheese cubes, homemade popcorn, grape tomatoes, pineapple chunks, carrots w/ hummus, mango, pear, peach, kiwi, plum, cherries, sliced bell peppers, unsweetened applesauce, whole-wheat pretzels, brown rice cakes, sunflower seeds, raisins, nuts (if no allergies) and hard-boiled eggs.

    Basically I am doing all of this because I care. Because there is a better way to live. It's not normal to feel like crap every day. It's not normal that doctors dispense prescriptions like candy. It's not normal for a 5-year old to have a rare cancer, it's not normal that 1out of 2 men and 1 out of 3 women will get cancer in their lifetime. It's not right that our food is filled with chemicals and pesticides, our water is contaminated with herbicides and pesticides, or that the products we put on our skin are filled with nasty chemicals that do more harm than good. It's not right that 60 million adults (or 30%) of the US population is obese.
    The general public is for the most part unaware of all of the dangers. The government has twisted our view on foods and frankly should be put out of the equation all-together. It's my job as a Health Coach to educate the average consumer and help guide you to better choices.
    I am very excited that as of next week, I will begin to see clients and have lined up my first one already. She's eager to get started and help her family down a healthier path! I'm here for you if you have questions or want help for your family.
    I invite you to do a Health History (http://unlockbetterhealth.com/forms) with me and see how using a Health Coach could possibly change your life! It changed mine!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment