Recipes

Monday, September 6, 2010

Days 6, 7 & 8 - Weekend of Challenges

My holiday weekend started off with a 3-hr shopping trip to Target. UGH! I was armed with my wad of coupons and ready to cut yuck from my life. I read every label. I was surprised to find High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) in a lot of my favorite foods. It's even in Special K cereal! Isn't that supposed to be a "healthy" variety? I purchased natural peanut butter, organic tortilla chips and found some yummy chips called "Food Should Taste Good." I bought the Sweet Potato variety and boy did they go fast! They are gluten free, low sodium, low-fat, and trans fat free, yet tasted awesome!
I bought light mayo (without HFCS), organic yogurt, deli cheese (instead of processed slices), low sugar granola bars for my kids,  and whole grain breads and cereals. I still, however, splurged on a few things like Pop-Tarts - a girl has to have her fun somehow!
Overall, it was a successful trip. I saved $85 with coupons and now have some favorite organic brands to choose from. Target's selection is growing and that's great for all of us! I think my organic selections cost me about $10 more than regular brands, but that's nothing compared to the benefits!
On Sunday, our family took a trip to Williamsburg, VA. We went to Busch Gardens where I was tempted with all kinds of indulgent treats. I, however, did not partake! YEAH for me!! We did eat a calorie-laden plate of spaghetti and chicken parmesan, but the portions were smaller and I feel I may have walked it off! I was tempted to grab one of those gigantic ice cream cones, but I felt an obligation to stick to my guns and this program.
On a side note, if you're ever traveling to the area, I recommend The Historic Powhatan Resort. We got a 2-bedroom suite for $87 night. It was perfect for my girls. They slept in one room and we had another king bedroom and even a living room, kitchen and balcony. It's perfect for families - I wish we had more time to spend there.
Today, we are off to a Labor Day BBQ. Wish me luck! I'm hoping to use my newly acquired skill of stopping when I'm full. Here's hoping!
P.S. It's 9:34pm - I'm stuffed with BBQ! I tried really hard not to eat that much. I even turned down a second helping of Banana Nilla Wafer Pudding (my childhood fave). It's so hard to eat well in the company of others!

No comments:

Post a Comment