Recipes

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Food Philosophy

A few of my friends have asked me, "what kind of diet do you follow?" And my answer is a short one; it's not a diet at all.  In September of 2010, we made a lifestyle change. I made the decision to cut processed foods, excess sugar, refined flours and the like from our diet. I really wasn't adopting anyone's specific diet, I was just eating as close to whole foods as I could.
The human body was not genetically designed to eat sugar, alcohol, caffeine, white flour, refined foods, grains, soda, etc...So, I began to educate myself and found some interesting information on the Weston A. Price Foundation. Their philosophy on food includes supporting organic and biodynamic farming, pasture-feeding of livestock, community-supported farms and more. I felt like this was something I could get behind. I want access to grass-fed meat, raw milk, organic produce and I want to support those who provide such items.
Some might also say I dabble in the Paleolithic diet, sometimes referred to as the Paleo diet for short, or also known as the caveman diet, stone age diet or hunter-gatherer diet, is based on the assumption that human beings should be eating the foods that our ancient ancestors ate, because that is the diet that we were genetically designed to eat.

Primarily, we eat a varied diet of pastured chicken, sustainable wild fish, grass-fed beef and pork, organically-grown veggies, very little grains, very little dairy and severely limited sugary foods.  Of course, I am not perfect and I have cravings from my "prior life." Over the holidays, I succumbed to a plate of holiday cookies, I indulged in a fat slice of pumpkin pie and I enjoy an occasional alcoholic beverage. I am human after all!  But I don't consume foods that have been factory-made on a daily basis. I believe that's where the problem is.
Once I eliminated those foods from my diet, I immediately started losing weight, had more energy, didn't need certain medications anymore, my migraines stopped, frequent colds and bronchitis stopped and I just feel so much better. It's not from a miracle pill, it's just from simply eating REAL WHOLE FOOD! Sorry for shouting, but I just get so mad at how far we've all come from eating whole foods. It's not your fault either. Food manufacturers are deceiving us and the government just keeps forking over the dough to food giants and companies like M_ _santo, who are creating franken-foods and genetically-modified creations that are quickly (not slowly) killing us all.

We have become a nation of fast food eating, convenience food-loving, sugar-addicted fools. I'm so glad that I have been educated about eating whole foods and that I am able to teach others how to do the same. Now it's your turn. Take the knowledge you have and help someone else find our "food religion." (That's what some of my foodie friends say about me - that I've found religion in food and I keep spreading "the gospel.") So go, my foodies - Spread the gospel!  Eat Real Food!

No comments:

Post a Comment